Tuesday, March 8, 2022

Lakers’ Russell Westbrook says harassment weighing on his family, vows to push back on name-shaming taunts

SAN ANTONIO — When it comes to insults, jabs and threats, Russell Westbrook has heard it all. Until recently, he thought he could take it, too.

But a recent parent-teacher conference with his wife, Nina Westbrook, opened his eyes: He’s not the only one bearing that weight.

His 4-year-old son Noah loves his last name, his teacher said. He writes his name everywhere. He says it to people he meets: “I’m Westbrook.”

It struck the 14-year NBA veteran that his children hear their name twisted as a critique of their father’s basketball career: “Westbrick.” And that started to change how the nine-time All-Star felt about hearing that particular nickname.

“It’s shaming my name, my legacy for my kids. It’s a name that means, not just to me, but to my wife, to my mom, my dad, the ones that kind of paved the way for me. That’s just one example. That kind of hit myself and my wife in a place where it’s not great. A lot of times, I let it slide. But now it’s time to put a stop to that and put it on notice.”

On Monday night, Westbrook made it known that he’s pushing back on the criticisms of him that overlap with his family, and especially his last name. Speaking after a 117-110 loss in San Antonio, Westbrook talked at length about his anguish over how his family has received collateral damage as frustration mounts over an underwhelming Lakers season.

After a blockbuster trade that brought the SoCal native back home last summer, Westbrook has struggled this season to produce the All-Star-caliber performance suggested by his max-level contract. While the 33-year-old guard said on-court critiques of his shooting performances or mistakes are fair game, he’s been shaken by how his children are caught in the crossfire.

“I don’t even want to bring my kids to the game because I don’t want them to hear people calling their dad nicknames and other names for no reason because he’s playing the game that he loves,” he said. “And it’s gotten so bad where my family don’t even want to go to home games, to any game.”

Averaging 18.1 points, 7.6 rebounds and 7.2 assists while shooting 43.4% from the field and 28.4% from 3-point range, Westbrook has been targeted by pundits and even Lakers fans, who have booed the former league MVP in the midst of erratic performances. But it seems the Westbrook family has reached a breaking point. On Monday night, a viral video captured Westbrook sternly addressing a fan at AT&T Center during the second half: “Don’t disrespect my name!”

Russ wasn’t having the disrespect 💯

(via @s_universal) pic.twitter.com/s4Vc0WqlUT

— Bleacher Report (@BleacherReport) March 8, 2022

In a Twitter thread on Monday afternoon, Nina Westbrook opened a window into the extreme commentary that her family, including her three young children have received. She used the twisting of the Westbrook name as a launching point (she specifically called out Fox Sports commentator Skip Bayless earlier this month), but it quickly took a dark turn.

Tweeted Nina Westbrook: “When I’m being harassed on a daily basis over basketball games, and I’m having obscenity’s (sic) and death wishes for me and my family sent my way because you’re expressing your “truth”, it’s hard for me to get on board with that.”

When I’m being harassed on a daily basis over basketball games, and I’m having obscenity’s and death wishes for me and my family sent my way because you’re expressing your “truth”, it’s hard for me to get on board with that.

— Nina Westbrook (@ninawestbrook) March 7, 2022

Asked about his wife’s comments, Russell Westbrook said, “I 100% stand behind my wife and how she’s feeling.”

The couple has been together since they both attended UCLA. Throughout that time, it’s been common for Westbrook to hear insults: During the 2012 NBA Finals, Westbrook was caught off-guard when childhood idol Magic Johnson called him the worst point guard to ever play in the NBA Finals. But he largely learned to weather it – or perhaps more accurately weaponize it as motivation.

Having children has changed that calculus for the Westbrooks however, as has the expanding realm of his influence in Los Angeles. Westbrook’s foundation bears his name, as does his charter school and his car dealerships. His parents. His brother. It’s a big circle.

He’s far from the first NBA superstar to have his name repurposed for poking fun or even something a little more cruel: “Tragic Johnson” leaps to mind, as do troll-ish insults at LeBron James that populate his social media mentions. But it’s clear that Westbrook takes it personally and feels somewhat singled out.

This factor has added strain to what the Westbrooks thought would be a charmed homecoming and a painful backlash to the fulfillment of his childhood dream of playing for the Lakers. These details help color in the unique nature of that conflict.

Ultimately, the future Hall-of-Famer understands that in between the lines, he’s bound to be scrutinized. But he’d like to leave it on the court.

“I’ve been blessed and super thankful for the ones around me and the ones that support me, but it’s really the shaming of my name, the shaming of my character, the shaming of who I am as a person is, to me, not warranted,” he said. “I haven’t done anything to anybody. I haven’t hurt anyone. I haven’t done anything but play basketball a way that people might not like. And this is just a game. Just a game. This is not my entire life. I think that’s the ultimate thing that’s been for me.”

“I stand behind my wife with how she’s feeling…it’s reached a point where it’s really weighing on my family.” @russwest44 shares his thoughts on the comments made by his wife saying she and her family are “harassed on a daily basis”. pic.twitter.com/ize5TLvVnb

— Spectrum SportsNet (@SpectrumSN) March 8, 2022

from Signage https://ift.tt/IvHsyYJ
via Irvine Sign Company


Lakers’ Russell Westbrook says harassment weighing on his family, vows to push back on name-shaming taunts was originally posted by Local Sign Company Irvine, Ca. https://goo.gl/4NmUQV https://goo.gl/bQ1zHR http://www.pearltrees.com/anaheimsigns

No comments: